Traditional Christmas Pavlova
This is the way my Mum always made her pavlova, in a hot oven to start, dropped down to a cool oven for a long slow cook. The results are always amazing, a crispy outside and a gooey center.
TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS PAVLOVA
6 egg whites
1 ½ cups caster sugar
3 tsp corn flour
1 ½ tsp white vinegar
2 cups whipped cream
Fresh fruit for the top
1. Preheat your oven to 240 degrees. Slightly dampen a large plate, suitable for the oven.
2. Place the egg whites and salt into a medium sliced dry mixing bowl, beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition to make sure the sugar has dissolved. Beat until the mixture is thick and glossy and all the sugar is dissolved.
3. Using a metal spoon, fold in the cornflour and vinegar. Spoon the mixture onto the prepared plate and lightly flatten the top and smooth the sides.
4. Reduce the oven to 160 degrees. Bake for 1 ½ hours or until pale cream and crisp. Remove the pavlova from the oven while it is warm. Leave the pavlova to cool.
5. Spread the soft centre of the pavlova with whipped cream and top with fresh fruit of your choice. Refrigerate until ready to serve.