Gingerbread Christmas Cake
The perfect cake to have centre stage on any Christmas table. A moist cake with a lovely ginger flavour, pared with creamy butter icing.
GINGERBREAD CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE ICING
1 ½ cups plain flour
¾ cup self-raising flour
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup light tasting olive oil
¾ cup milk
¾ cup golden syrup
CREAM CHEESE ICING
150 g butter, softened
1 ½ cups pure icing sugar, sifted
375 g cream cheese, softened
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease 3, 15 cm round cake pans, lined with baking paper.
2. Sift flours, ground ginger, mixed spice and bi-carb soda into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar.
3. For mixture and golden syrup to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Spoon the mixture evenly between the three pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
4. To make the icing, using an electric mixer, beat the butter an icing sugar for 5 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Reserve ½ cup icing.
5. Using a large serrated knife, cut the domed tops of the cakes. Place one cake on a cake stand or serving plate and top with half the icing. Repeat layering. Top with remaining cake and a thin layer of icing. Using a pallet knife spread the reserved icing around the sides of the cake in a rustic manner so that the cake is still showing through.
Decorate your cake using flowers and herbs from your garden. Attach your foliage to floristry wire and place around the outside of your cake.