Ricotta Gnocchi with Pumpkin and Sage
These light as a feature gnocchi are quick and easy to make and taste just perfect on a winters night.
RICOTTA GNOCCHI WITH PUMPKIN AND SAGE
400g full fat ricotta, liquid drained
2 egg yolks
Pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
Zest ½ lemon
30 g freshly grated parmesan cheese
100 g 00 flour
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil
500 g butternut pumpkin cut into small cubes
30 g butter
12 sage leaves
70 g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1. In a large bowl mix together the ricotta, nutmeg, lemon zest, parmesan, and a pinch of salt. Next add the flour and very carefully with a light touch incorporate it into your mixture using your hands to form a very soft tacky dough. If you feel it is just a little to tacky add a small amount of extra flour. Do not over mix your dough.
2. Dust a clean work surface with flour and ever so gently kneed your dough only three or four times. The lighter you are with the dough, the lighter your gnocchi will turn out.
3. Next line one or two trays with baking paper and dust with a little flour. Roll pieces of dough out into a long sausage shape and cut 1.5 cm gnocchi, using a blunt floured knife. Place onto your floured tray and continue until all your dough is rolled and cut.
4. Heat a medium deep sided frying pan over a medium -high heat. Add the olive oil and toss in your pumpkin. Continue to toss it in the oil for 8-10 minutes until your pumpkin is browned and cooked through. Next, add your butter and sage leave until the butter begins to brown and the sage leaves go crisp. Add your hazelnuts and cook for another 10 seconds.
5. Meanwhile place a large saucepan of salted water on the stove to boil. Once the water boils, turn it down to a gentle simmer (do not cook your gnocchi in rapid boiling water in case they break up), place the gnocchi in the water for 1-2 minutes. Once it reached the surface, let it cook for an extra minute. With a slotted spoon, gently add the gnocchi to your sauce and toss gently through.
6. Serve immediately with a few fresh savings of parmesan cheese.