These are the most delightful little cakes. Half dip them in chocolate for an extra special treat. They are terrific for lunch boxes and make the perfect addition to a cup of tea or coffee.
3 large eggs, room temperature
85 g bar bittersweet chocolate (70%-82%), finely chopped
115g unsalted butter
⅔ Cup sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup Dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons plain flour
1. Place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and melt it in the microwave.
2. Add the finely chopped chocolate and let sit for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth and set aside to cool.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder in a medium bowl and set it aside.
4. Place the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer or use a hand mixer and beat for three minutes on high speed until thick and light yellow.
5. Reduce the speed and add the sugar gradually. Increase the speed to high and beat until light, about 4 minutes more.
6. Add the flour/cocoa mixture and gently fold it into the egg/sugar mixture using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
7. Add the cooled chocolate and butter mixture and blend and gently fold it in until evenly mixed but still very light and fluffy.
8. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place the batter in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to two days.
9. Fill special madeleine molds ⅔ full or use a mini muffin pan that has been well buttered and floured.
10. Preheat your oven at 220 degrees and bake the madeleines for 7 minutes to get a nice rise, then reduce the heat to 170 degrees and continue to cook for 4 more minutes.
11. Keep baked madeleines in an airtight container, but they are best eaten the same day they are baked.
Serve plain, dusted with icing sugar or half dip them in melted chocolate for an extra special treat. These store for 5 days in an air tight container and make great lunch box snacks or they go perfect with a cup of tea!