My go to salad when I am looking for a raw hit of vitamins and minerals. Packed full of flavour, crunch and colour, this ticks all the right boxes for the health conscious lunch or dinner.
For the salad:
½ head red cabbage, cored and shredded
1 small sweet potato, shredded
1 small beet, peeled and shredded (I used yellow)
1 green onion, thinly chopped
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup dried cranberries (optional)
80 g pepitas
2 tbsp. caster sugar
1 ½ tbsp. sea salt flakes
1 tsp ground chilli
Pinch cayenne pepper
For the dressing:
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp. miso
1 tbsp. grated ginger
1 garlic clove, pressed
1½ tsp honey
Sea salt + pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
1. Place olive oil, miso, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper in a small jar. Close the lid and shake vigorously. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
For the roasted pumpkin seeds:
1. Combine the pepitas and sugar in a frying pan and stir occasionally over a low medium heat until the sugar begins to melt. Add the sea salt flakes and gently shake the pan for a couple of minutes until the pepitas are toasted. Remove from the heat and stir in the ground chilli and cayenne pepper.
2. Transfer the pepitas to a sheet of baking paper and separate them a little to avoid them clumping as they cool. Use as many or little as you like in you slaw, but you should defiantly have some left over. Store in an air tight container.
Putting it all together
1. In a large bowl, toss together the red cabbage, sweet potato, beet and green onion.
2. Pour the miso-ginger dressing over and mix to combine.
3. Right before serving, add, parsley and dried fruit (optional). Then top with the roasted pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.