Coconut, Custard and Raspberry Tart
A Great dessert which makes terrific use of summer berries. Combined with the flavour of coconut to make a beautiful combination.
COCONUT CUSTARD RASPBERRY TART
170 grams plain flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons icing sugar
100 grams butter, diced and chilled
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons chilled water
250ml coconut cream
⅓ Cup caster sugar
4 egg yolks
Finely grated zest 1 large lime
200 grams frozen raspberries (don’t thaw)
24cm loose-based tart tin
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
2. Pastry: Put the flour, cocoa, salt and icing sugar in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and process to coarse crumbs.
3. Combine the egg and water and tip into the mixture.
4. Pulse until the dough just starts to come together then tip onto the bench and finish bringing together with your hands. Flatten into a disc then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. There will be little specks of butter in the dough.
5. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured bench and line the tart tin. Chill or freeze until firm.
6. Bake blind for 20 minutes then remove from the oven.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 140°C fan bake.
8. Carefully lift out the paper and weights and return the tart to the oven for 5 minutes.
9. Filling: Whisk all the ingredients together, except the frozen raspberries, and pour into a jug.
10. Scatter the raspberries over the base of the tart and carefully pour in ¾ of the filling.
11. Place the tart in the oven then pour in the remaining filling.
12. Bake for 30 minutes until the custard is just set but with a slight wobble.
13. Cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin. Serve just warm or at room temperature.