Roasted Hazelnut, citrus and Summer Berry Cake
A stunning dessert to cook when entertaining. This cake utilizes the fruits and flavour of summer from top to bottom.
¾ cup caster sugar
⅓ cup caster sugar
150 g finely ground roasted hazelnut meal
½ cup desiccated coconut
Finely grated zest 2 oranges and 1 lemon
FOR THE TOP
1¼ cups cream, softly whipped
1 cup homemade lemon curd (optional)
1 punnet fresh raspberries
1 punnet fresh blueberries
½ punnet fresh strawberries
Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line a 22 cm spring form tin with baking paper.
2. Separate the eggs and put the whites and yolks in two separate large bowls.
3. Beat the egg yolks with the ¾ cup of caster sugar until very thick and pale. Stir in the nuts, coconut and all the zest. The mixture will be very thick.
4. Beat the egg whites until frothy then gradually beat in the ⅓ cup of caster sugar until thick and glossy. Use a large metal spoon to stir a large spoonful of the egg whites into the nut mixture to loosen it. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites in 3 batches.
5. Pour the mixture into the tin and smooth the tops. Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the side of the tin and is golden and firm to the touch. Set aside to cool.
To assemble: Spread a layer of lemon curd on the top of the cake. Next dollop the cream over the top and spread evenly. Scatter over the raspberries, blueberries and strawberry’s and dust with icing sugar.