Matts Chocolate Mousse
This recipe was handed down to me from my stepfather who made this many times when he was a chef. It still remains the best chocolate mousse recipe I have ever tried.
MATTS CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
200 g dark chocolate (I like to use a mix to 60%- 80%)
3 tbsp. of black expresso
15 g butter
5 large free range eggs
1 ¼ cup cream
Dash of brandy or rum (I use a spiced rum)
1. Cut chocolate into small pieces and melt over a double boiler. Remove from the heat and gently stir in the 3 tbsp. of expresso, the butter and the rum.
2. Separate the eggs and add the egg yolks one at a time into the warm egg mixture, stirring constantly.
3. Whisk the egg white until just stiff and whip the cream in a separate bowl.
4. Gently fold through the egg whites and the cream into the chocolate mixture until it is totally incorporated.
5. Pour into individual bowls, cups or ramekins and refrigerate until set.
6. Serve with a little whipped cream