Miso Glazed Eggplants
This is a great way to take the humble eggplant and turn it into something amazing. Infused with the sticky sweet and savoury flavour of miso, this is a quick and easy mid week meal you can whip up in know time. Serve it with steamed white rice.
MISO GLAZED EGGPLANTS
2 small eggplant (or one medium/large one)
2 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
¼ cup miso paste
2 tbsp. mirin
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. sake
1. Slice eggplant in half and using a knife, score the inside in small squares.
2. In a pan over high heat, add oil and put the eggplant skin facing down.
3. Cook for a few minute until skin is brown. Turn the eggplant over and cover with a lid. Cook until eggplant is cooked through (about 3 to 4 minutes).
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix miso, mirin, sugar and sake.
5. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place eggplants in a baking tray and baste generously with the miso paste mix.
6. Place in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until the eggplants look soft and sunken and the miso paste is bubbling.
7. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and serve hot with steamed rice if desired.