This may not be for Christmas day, but this is the perfect cake to serve in the lead up to Christmas. A delightful cake with a very festive feel.
160 g melted butter
180 g (1 ½ cups) plain flour
120 g (1 cup) almond flour
130 g raw caster sugar (2/3 cup)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch sea salt
300 g fresh pitted or frozen cherries
50 g flaked almonds (1/3 cup)
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and grease a 9inch 23cm spring form tin.
2. Combine the melted butter, almond flour and sugar until well incorporated. Add in your eggs one at a time until well combined.
3. Add in your sifted plain flour and baking powder and add the salt. Mix to combine. Add the cherries and with a soft touch gently fold them through the batter. Scrape the mixture into your tin and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, scatter with flaked almonds and brown sugar and cook for a further 10 minutes.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack.
6. Serve with vanilla ice cream or cream for extra indulgence.
NOTE: I used fresh cherries for this cake which I pitted myself. I have made this cake many times using frozen cherries which saves a lot of time and the results are still sensational. For an added flavour hit, you could even try cooking your fresh cherries slightly in a liqure before adding them to teh cake batter.