Buttermilk Roast Chicken
Soaking your roast chicken in buttermilk overnight, produces a bird bursting with flavor which is super tender.
BUTTERMILK ROAST CHICKEN
Start this recipe the day before
1.8kg free range or organic chicken
8 unpeeled garlic cloves
12 bay leaves
1 bunch thyme
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Place the chicken breast side down in a non- reactive bowl. Pour over the buttermilk, cover and place in the fridge to tenderise overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Drain the chicken and pat dry with paper towel. Allow the chicken to come to room temperature.
3. Place the chicken in a good sized roasting tray and scatter the garlic cloves and bay leaves around the chicken. Halve the lemon and place inside the cavity of the bird along with half the thyme. Place remaining thyme around the bird.
4. Drizzle with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the juices run clear when pierced with a skewer.
5. Rest for 10 minutes before calving.